NCAC INTERNATIONAL COMMITTEE
February 25, 2013
Members Present: Chuck DAVIDSON (Chair); Don DURBIN (Staff Advisor); Axel ANDERSON (White Oak); Paul BOESEN (George Mason); Matt CONNOLLY (Patriot); Bob DAVIDSON (Zekiah); Mike DeLACY (Aquia); Jay EIDSON (At Large); Ken FENG (Powhatan); Peter LAGERBERG (At Large); Judy RUSSELL (Potomac); Mike SIERRA (Goose Creek); John SPIEGELBERG (Appalachian Trail); Phil STERNBERG (Patriot); Hector URANGA (At Large); Joe VLCEK (Prince George’s); Ralph WOODEN (Washington DC); Randy YOUNG (Sully); Shawn YOUNGBERG (Catoctin Mountain); Bob ZUNG (Potomac).
Guests Present: None.
The International Committee:
- WELCOMED new members Paul BOESEN of George Mason District, and Matt CONNOLLY of Patriot District.
- UPDATED its member roster (attached).
- APPROVED minutes of its November 2012 meeting without change.
- THANKED Bob DAVIDSON, Joe VLCEK, and Ken FENG for agreeing to coordinate hosting of foreign Scout contingents before and after the upcoming National Jamboree in West Virginia, noting that two contingents (UK—30 members, and Sweden—10 members) were being currently worked, the Swedish one with the able assistance of Peter LAGERBERG.
- APPROVED with minor changes a new International Hosting Program Registration Form prepared by Bob DAVIDSON, Joe VLCEK, and Ken FENG, asking Mike SIERRA to make the changes, post the new form on the Committee’s web pages, and offer the new form for further dissemination in one of the Council’s e-mailings.
- NOTED that new member Paul BOESEN was willing to assist Larry McNIECE in arranging for an NCAC International Scouting Day with the Embassy of Japan.
- ASKED Bob ZUNG to draft a business plan, assisted by Allison HOOPES, Dave WRAUSMANN, Randy YOUNG, Axel ANDERSON, and Hector URANGA, for a Council International Camporee or Jamborette at Camp Snyder in August 2014, and report on progress at the March Committee meeting.
- THANKED Bob ZUNG for again running the International Elective at the recent University of Scouting, noting that 15 attended.
- APPROVED in concept the proposal by Ken FENG to establish and fund one or more scholarships for NCAC Scouts to attend each World Scout Jamboree, with the purpose of displaying American culture while there (subject to securing written permission by National). NOTED further that the proposal, funded partially by Ken outright and partially by his matching others’ contributions, would commit the Committee to establish criteria for the scholarships, advertise for candidates and select winners, and advocate and actively seek significant contributions for Ken to match.
- APPLAUDED Ken FENG for his outstanding generosity and vision.
- NOTED that its next meeting was on Thursday, March 21, 2013, 7:30 p.m. at the Scout Service Center.