PROGRAM OVERVIEW: Dates 25-27 January 2013
1.1 District Klondike Derby Guide: Click Here.
1.3 Klondike Derby Synopsis
A competition of patrol skills, individual knowledge, teamwork, and ingenuity kicks off the 2013 gold rush. Along the way, the Scouts will be able to earn extra gold for their Scout Spirit but might also fall victim to claim jumpers. The object is simple: Earn Gold for Scout Skills, Scout Spirit, and Patrol Cooperation while having Fun in the Winter Cold.
BOY SCOUT TROOPS, VENTURING CREWS and VARSITY PATROLS are invited to participate in the Klondike Derby. Due to the skills and physical requirements associated with this event, WEBELOS cannot participate in this event.
Harpers Ferry/Civil War Battlefield KOA, 343 Campground Rd. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425.
Drive time from the Old Dominion District during rush hour, is a factor and requires each unit to plan ahead. Approximate drive time in non-rush hour traffic is just under 90 minutes.
1.6 Suggested Route
1. Take Fairfax County Parkway to the Dulles Toll Road (left exit) towards the airport, this becomes the Dulles Greenway (rush hour toll is $5.25).
2. Go to the end of the Greenway and take the exit for Route 7 west. Continue on Route 7 for approximately 4.2 miles.
3. Take Route 9 west towards Charles Town. Watch speed limits in small towns. Go approximately 9.8 miles on Route 9 and bear right onto Harper's Ferry Road (right hand fork).
4. Stay on Harper's Ferry Road for approximately 7.6 miles. At Route 340 turn left (south). Cross the Shenandoah River bridge and continue on Route 340.
5. At the first traffic light turn left and then immediately turn right and follow road to KOA Kampground. Look for ODD Camporee signs!
Old Dominion District Winter Camporee
Units should plan on arriving between 5 pm and 8 pm Friday. All units should plan to depart no later than 12 noon on Sunday unless staying for additional events on Sunday and Monday. There is plenty of parking and units will be allowed to pull up to the sites and buildings to offload gear but cars will then have to be moved to one of the parking lots so that others may unload.
Pre-registration is required and discussed in Section 3.0. A mandatory briefing with all Scoutmasters and Senior Patrol Leaders will be held Friday night at 10:00 pm.
The Trading Post will be open between 8 – 10 pm in the Yukon Win Saloon (basement of the Multi Purpose Room). The welcome social will run from 8 – 10 pm in the Yukon Win Saloon, too. This is the first opportunity for your Scouts to earn some gold!
1.8 Snow Policy
Hey, this is a Klondike Derby – there’s supposed to be snow! But, if you remember the Winter of 2010, things can happen. If for any reason the Kampground feels that the conditions warrant shutting the facility down, they will notify the camp director and issue a full refund. Refunds are done by the Council.
Still, the unit leaders inevitably must make their own calls for their units. Unless the KOA or District cancels the event, refunds should not be anticipated.
NOTE: View ALL information by downloading the District Klondike Derby Guide.