Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
Outdoor skills are critical to the success of the Scouting program,
and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills will provide leaders with
the basic outdoor skills information needed to start a program right.
Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS) is the required outdoor
training for Scoutmasters and Assistant Scoutmasters. The skills taught
are based on the outdoor skills found in The Boy Scout Handbook.
The overnight campout course focus is on the skills that build confidence
and competence in leaders conducting outdoor camping experiences. This training
is also ideal for Venturing Advisors, if they have crews with outdoor programs.
The fall session will be held at:
Patuxent River Naval Air Station,
Mattapani Camp, Buse Road
Patuxent River, MD 20670
October 27-28, 2012, Registration 0800-0900.
Session ends mid-day Sunday.
There will be a planning session for attendees at Roundtable, October 10, 2012
at which time we will form patrols and discuss what equipment to bring.
For more information see http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/event/1230270 or contact Jack Culver, 301 904-6718, firstname.lastname@example.org
BSA Training that Expires
Everyone knows that Youth Protection Training (YPT) expires after two years and must be retaken to remain valid. But several other classes also have expiration dates. One that can trip you up is Weather Hazards which must be current for Tour Plans to be approved. As one of our WSD leaders recently discovered, they do check this at council in the process of approving Tour Plans and will not approve the plan if the training has expired. Below is a list of these courses and how often they should be retaken to be valid - some might surprise you:
- Youth Protection—every two years
- National Camping School—good for five camping seasons
- Safe Swim Defense—every two years
- Paddle Craft Safety—every three years
- Aquatics Supervision/Swimming and Water Rescue—every three years
- BSA Lifeguard—every three years
- Visitation training—every two years
- Lead Climbing Instructor—every five years
- Climbing Instructor—every two years
- COPE/Climbing Inspector—every two years
- Safety Afloat—every two years
- Chain Saw Safety—every two years
- Trainer’s EDGE—every three years
- Hazardous Weather—every two years
- Physical Wellness—every two years
- Climb On Safely—every two years
- Trek Safely—every two years
The National website with this list is http://scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates/Archives/201105.aspx.
Scroll down the page to the "Training Recertification" article.
WSD Training Chair