Powder Horn Course
This is a two-part course: AUGUST 25 – 28 & SEPTEMBER 16 - 18, 2011
(you must attend both sessions)
This course is designed to introduce and familiarize Venturing and Boy Scout Leaders with the activities and resources necessary to operate a successful outdoor/high adventure program. It is based on the eight core requirements and eighteen electives found in the Venturing Ranger program. It is intended to help adult leaders in locating and utilizing resources. No high adventure skills are taught in this course. It is designed to have many disciplines introduced with a hands-on segment. While participation in individual activities is not required, participants are encouraged to take part.
Powder Horn is based on the requirements for the prestigious Venturing Ranger Award. This award requires demonstrated proficiency in a challenging set of core and elective topics. During the course, presentations on Ranger topics are made by knowledgeable consultants with demonstrated skills and certifications, as appropriate. They demonstrate the skills required and explain where resources, such as equipment, facilities, guides, instructors, and certifications which can be obtained locally. Most of the presentations involve actual hands-on experience by the participants, including, shooting (pistol, rifle, shotgun), archery, kayaking, canoeing, sailing, fly fishing, mountain biking, SCUBA, land navigation, Leave No Trace, Project COPE, and much, much more.
Many participants report that they picked up a new hobby as a result of a Powder Horn class.
This is NOT a high adventure activity. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES are Powder Horn participants required to participate in an activity where they feel uncomfortable. They may choose to observe, listen, and learn.
Completion of Powder Horn will result in these outcomes:
Understanding the skills, equipment, facilities, & certifications needed to conduct specific high-adventure programs.
- Must be a registered adult member of the BSA over 21 years old.
- Must be trained for your specific position, including New Leader Essentials & Youth Protection.
- Must be able to meet physical requirements of BSA parts A, B, & C physical in a backcountry environment. Click here for the form.
The fee is $275 (includes course materials, instruction, meals, recognition items). A $75 deposit, along with the completed application will reserve your place for the course. The deposit is due by June 1, 2011 with full payment by July 15, 2011.
The course is limited to 48 participants. When the course is filled, participants will be placed on the waiting list in case of cancellations.
Kitty Moore - Course Director
Don Durbin - Program Director
Participant Forms Needed after Registration:
PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT NOTE
This event offers online registration which will do the following:
- Register you for the event. Any number of people may be registered at the same time.
- Charge your credit card the $75 deposit due per person registered.
- (this will show on the payment page)
- Automatically charge your card the balance due per person registered.
- The auto-billing for this event will be done Friday, July 15, 2011 for $200.00.
- NOTE: You may also pay the full amount at the time of registration.
- You will receive a receipt when this auto-bill transaction occurs.
- Attention Youth Participants! When email or phone number is requested enter your parent/guardian's address and number.