Starting a New Unit
Colonial District is dedicated to encouraging the growth of Scouting. To that end, we want to make sure that the Cubs, Scouts and Venturers in this District are adequately supported by trained Scouters and by dedicated sponsors that are sufficiently stable to assure the continuation of their units for years to come.
We know that there is still a lot of room for growth in our District and we want to make Scouting available to every boy that wants to join. Still, we don't want to start a new unit that is unlikely to survive or that would seriously diminish the effectiveness of an existing unit. To that end, we have adopted the following procedures which should be followed whenever there is a request to start a new unit:
1. First, the District Executive and the Vice-Chairman for Membership must be notified and provided with the name of the prospective sponsor and the name of the contact person.
2. Then, the DE and/or the Membership VC will meet with the representative of the potential sponsor and obtain information regarding the need for the unit and the ability of the sponsor to provide adequate facilities and competent leadership.
3. The DE and/or the Membership VC will report on their findings and recommendations to the Key 3 (Chairman, Commissioner and DE) who will make a final determination regarding whether the proposed new unit will be formed.
4. Upon Key 3 approval for the new unit, the DE and/or Membership VC will contact the sponsor and schedule a meeting to organize the new unit.
5. In instances where a volunteer has been assisting the sponsor in securing a new unit, that volunteer may be as active or as passive as the volunteer chooses in each of the above steps.